Thicker, longer hair naturally??? Since I was very little, I have been obsessed with having long and beautiful hair. Unfortunately, I don’t have long, beautiful hair. It’s fine, thin, wavy and frizzy and as I get older the hairline has receded at the temple. By the time my hair grows of any reasonable length, it breaks off so that I am left with thin, stringy, wild hair that doesn’t look like the hair I’ve dreamed of since a child. I’ve actually considered resorting to chopping it all off and just wearing extensions, forever.
But I’ve come to that point in my life where I believe everything that is simple and natural is better… (aside from the no-poo phase… baking soda on fine hair is not a good idea). Now I use a watered down version of my favorite all-natural shampoo – Shea Moisture – and only 1 to 2 times a week. Well what do you know? My hair has actually grown a bit more than I have ever been able to grow it. Another win for nature… yay!
Of course I am not satisfied… If washing and conditioning my hair with natural ingredients has helped, maybe some other natural things will help as well! So I have been on the lookout for more options. Following are some promising natural ingredients that I have found in my research and that I will experiment with over the course of the next 3 months.
Ingredients to be used in my thicker, longer hair naturally experiment:
- Castor oil – it is supposed to help grow new, and thicker hair, faster.
- Rice water rinse – supposedly used by rice farmers to grow thick, long hair.
- Rosemary water – it is supposed to increase circulation to the scalp.
- Collagen – users of collagen have reported many hair and skin benefits (including curing of their acne – bonus!!)
- Biotin supplements – long considered the numero uno thing to take for better skin and hair.
- Henna gloss – for strengthening the hair so it won’t break off as much.
I am going to try all of these for three months and measure my progress. Of course, if my hair grows significantly I’ll never know what the true cause is. But I am much too impatient to try them all individually! Growing thicker, longer hair naturally probably requires a multi-prong approach anyway.
Here is my plan:
- Castor oil – Although some people do it, I think it is much too messy to apply throughout the hair as it doesn’t spread well, even when mixed with other oils. I am going to apply it to the thinnest portions of my scalp (right around the receding hairline) twice a week.
- Rice water – I will rinse my hair with rice water twice a week.
- Rosemary – I will spray rosemary water on my scalp twice a week.
- Collagen – I will take collagen (mixed into my yogurt) daily.
- Biotin – I will take a biotin supplement daily.
- Henna – I will use a henna gloss monthly.
Look for the update pic in a month to see if there is any change!! Let me know if you have tried any hair tricks for thicker, longer hair naturally! Or try it along with me and let’s compare results. 🙂
The owner of www.myfreshnewlife.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com.
I may earn a small commission for my link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in maintaining this website. Thank you for your support!